Intellectual Property Right (IPR) is a legal term which covers innovations, novel ideas,
thoughts, information having commercial values and gives the innovator a right to protect it from
being used by others. It includes a wide range of intangible property ranging from information
to inventions. It generally includes patents, copyrights, trademark providing legal rights to
protect ideas, the expression of ideas, and names, logos, and marks used to identify a business of
specific product. It bears similarity with a physical property in the sense that it can be bought
and sold or rented. The owner has the exclusively right if the IPR is granted and thus protected
from infringement. Intellectual property law serves a variety of societal goals, including fostering
innovation and promoting economic and cultural development. The IPR promotes innovations in
diverse fields and also protect the innovations having commercial values by giving exclusive
right to the innovator to prevent others using it without permission. These legal rights may vary
from country to country but in general this creates competitiveness and also leads to innovations
in different sectors with potential for commercialization.The IPR has relevance to each and every
field of developments like health, agriculture, education, trade, biodiversity management,
biotechnology, information technology, the entertainment and media industries etc.
To encourage research and innovation among the faculty members of D.D.U. Gorakhpur
University, Gorakhpur, an IPR cell was proposed to Council of Science and Technology, U.P.,
Lucknow and Prof. Dinesh Yadav, Department of Biotechnology was made Nodal officer on 10th
Jan 2019 by Hon’ble Vice Chancellor. Initial financial support for the establishment of IPR cell
was provided by Council of Science and Technology, U.P., Lucknow on 30th March 2019. The
IPR cell of the University is proposed to be functional from Department of Biotechnology,
D.D.U. Gorakhpur University, Gorakhpur. An IPR committee comprising of four external
members and eleven members representing different Departments of faculty of Sciences and
Law has been approved by Hon’ble Vice-Chancellor on 19/06/2019. As per the guidelines for
establishment of IPR cell in State University with CST, U.P. & DST, Govt. of India specific
objectives and activities of the IPR cell has been proposed.
Objectives of the IPR Cell:
- To work as a link and bridge between Patent Information Centre, CST, UP and University and its affiliated Colleges.
- To advise and guide researchers on basics of IPR, especially patents with the help of PIC if necessary
- Encourage faculty members to carry out patent searches in-house and/or at PIC and fine tune their research
- To facilitate clearance from the competent authority for filing patent and forward it for IP protection to PIC, UP.
Activities of the IPR Cell:
- To organize group meetings/lectures in different Department & affiliated colleges for IPR awareness & understanding with support of PIC officials.
- To take IPR audit of research programme
- To facilitate IP management.
- To access the proposals for patent and scrutinize them through patent search with the help of PIC, CST, UP.
- First meeting of members of IPR committee of IPR cell, D.D.U. Gorakhpur University was held on 20/09/2019 in Department of Biotechnology in which all internal members
representing different Department of Science under faculty of Science and Law faculty attended.
- Second meeting was held on 01/10/2019 in which a member from Council of Science and Technology, U.P., Lucknow Mr. Mohit Srivastava attended and discuss different issues associated with the establishment of IPR cell in the University.
- An awareness programme on IPR issues for faculty members, Research Scholars and and students is proposed in January 2020 for which financial grant of Rs. 80,000/- has been sanctioned from Council of Science and Technology, U.P., Lucknow.
Members of “IPR committee” of the IPR cell
Name of Members
Prof. Dinesh Yadav
Head-Department of Biotechnology & Nodal officer IPR cell
Dr. Shashi Rana
External Member-Joint Director & Nodal officer, IP facilitation Centre, Council of Science & Technology, U.P., Lucknow